Re: PDF files: to store in database or not

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: PDF files: to store in database or not
Дата
Re: PDF files: to store in database or not
Список pgsql-general

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 7:16 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
On Thu, 8 Dec 2016, John DeSoi wrote:

I have been storing PDFs in Postgres for several years without any
problems. Documents range in size from a few pages to 100+ pages. I'm
using a bytea column, not large objects. I store the documents in a
separate database from the rest of the application data in order to make
it easy to exclude in database dumps or backup in some other way. I'm
currently managing about 600,000 documents.

John,

  This is really good information. Rather than using a separate database I
think that storing all PDFs in a separate table makes sense for my
application. Backup practices will be the domain of those using the
application (which I've decided to open-source and give away because I'm not
in the software business). A simple join to the appropriate data table will
make them available.

  Not having used the bytea data type before I'll read how to work with it.

Assuming relatively small files, bytea makes much more sense than a large object.  However note that encoding and decoding can be relatively memory intensive depending on your environment.  This is not a problem with small files and I would typically start to worry when you get into the hundreds of mb in size.  At least in Perl, I expect decoding to take about 8x the size of the final file in RAM.

LOBs work best when you need a streaming interface (seek and friends) while bytea's are otherwise much more pleasant to work with.

Thanks very much for your insights,

Rich