Re: PostgreSQL training recommendations?

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: PostgreSQL training recommendations?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 1:49 AM, Jasen Betts <jasen@xnet.co.nz> wrote:
On 2012-10-17, Vincent Veyron <vv.lists@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> I am surprised none of the fine contributors to this thread mentionned
> an activity they practice extensively, which is reading this list's
> content every day.
>
> Best training material ever in my opinion.

Yeah, if you want to learn PostgreSQL this list, the "sql" list, and
the "novice" list will provide both answers and example problems.

I would add I have learned a tremendous amount from the performance list as well.

But beyond that just participating in the discussions here one learns a lot, same with reading Bruce's presentations and other good documentation.  That doesn't mean it is always easy to fit pieces together but it takes time.

I have also occasionally had important "aha!" moments reading planet.postgresql.org also.

Part of the issue of course is that performance tuning often requires a decent understanding of lower-level aspects to what the database is actually doing.  The database goes to great efforts to be fast and the question is always what it is doing that you can help speed up.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers