Re: Hope for a new PostgreSQL era?

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: Hope for a new PostgreSQL era?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 3:24 AM, Craig Ringer <ringerc@ringerc.id.au> wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2011 1:27 PM, "Chris Travers" <chris.travers@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Additionally I am not entirely sure what he means by the last point.
>> If you look at the work that NTT along with EDB has put into
>> Postgres-XC, for example, it looks to me like the Postgres ecosystem
>> is growing by leaps and bounds and we are approaching an era where
>> Oracle is no longer ahead in any significant use case.
>
> While Pg is impressively capable now, I don't agree that Oracle (if DB2,
> MS-SQL etc) isn't ahead for any significant use case. Not on a purely
> technical basis anyway - once cost is considered there may be a stronger
> argument.

I said "approaching an era" for a reason.  We aren't there yet, but we
are fast approaching it.  Major areas I didn't think PostgreSQL would
ever directly compete in are now within arms reach.

Also when I say use case, I am talking like:

"I have a 2TB database and need to be able to run aggregates across
20M row tables as part of my transactional system."

What I see you mentioning are tools missing which in some cases show
use cases we aren't so good at (high security databases where
row-level security needs to be enforced, or accounting systems for
holding companies or the like), but given now that the above use case
is now within reach, I have to think the others will be soon as well.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers