Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"
Дата
Список pgsql-general
A few observations

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 12:31 PM, Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin@geoff.dj> wrote:
On 4 May 2016 at 06:46, dandl <david@andl.org> wrote:
> I'm a strong believer in putting the business code next to the data, not the wrong
> side of the object-relational divide. However, for many the challenge of writing and
> debugging SQL code is just too high!

Your source for this statement please? "For many" sounds rather like
weasel-words to me. In my experience, a wide range of people, from
beginners to experts, find SQL easy to write and debug. I'm afraid
that the problem seems to me to be that your peg is rather too square.

I actually agree with dandl on this.  Folks can write SQL but often aren't really comfortable using it as core application logic.

I.e. one often sees code that retrieves a bunch of records from the db, loops through them, and transforms the data as part of the OLTP workflow.  It is obviously much better of one can think about SQL as business logic but this is not that often.

I.e. people think the peg is square but indeed it is round.

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor lock-in.

Сообщение: Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"
Сообщение: Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"