Re: Downloads page

От Scott Mead
Тема Re: Downloads page
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 9:36 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

On 15 Nov 2013, at 06:59, Scott Mead <scottm@openscg.com> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 8:05 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:07 PM, Scott Mead <scottm@openscg.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>    BigSQL ( www.bigsql.org) provides hadoop access from Postgres via the
> HadoopFDW ( www.hadoopfdw.org).  I would like to propose a modification to
> the /downloads page that replaces our "Java PostgreSQL Server Bundles" slot
> with a "PostgreSQL and Hadoop Integration" section.  Please find the patch
> attached for your review.

If I'm honest, I'm not overly keen on this. The Java bundles were
interesting because they contained a whole application/development
stack for users to play with.

   I see.  These are actually developer bundles more than anything.  It's really the same idea as the application server bundles, it's really about integrating all of the components into an unzip-able stack and a shell script with a 'Go' button.  The HadoopFDW is a new component, and I hear you there, it's really part of the integrated stack that gives you the ability to sandbox Postgres + Hadoop quickly with no fuss.

Surely for most users (especially existing ones) the most convenient option would be a simple extension installation onto their distro of choice?

You don't really see this type of integrated dev stack with the 11 or so components  pre-configured and ready-to-run right out of the box.  The purpose here is to really give an unzip and go feel that gives you all of the components.

   Aside from that, this BigSQL stacks provide consistency through to the Mac as well.

--Scott

This feels like a way to get something
that should be in the Software Catalog and/or listed on the wiki with
the other FDWs into a far more prominent place than it normally would
be.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com