Re: Downloads page

От Scott Mead
Тема Re: Downloads page
Дата
Список pgsql-www

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 12:33 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 2:42 AM, Scott Mead <scottm@openscg.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 9:36 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>

>> On 15 Nov 2013, at 06:59, Scott Mead <scottm@openscg.com> wrote:

>>> If I'm honest, I'm not overly keen on this. The Java bundles were
>>> interesting because they contained a whole application/development
>>> stack for users to play with.
>>

>>    I see.  These are actually developer bundles more than anything.  It's
>> really the same idea as the application server bundles, it's really about
>> integrating all of the components into an unzip-able stack and a shell
>> script with a 'Go' button.  The HadoopFDW is a new component, and I hear you
>> there, it's really part of the integrated stack that gives you the ability
>> to sandbox Postgres + Hadoop quickly with no fuss.
>>

>> Surely for most users (especially existing ones) the most convenient
>> option would be a simple extension installation onto their distro of choice?
>

> You don't really see this type of integrated dev stack with the 11 or so
> components  pre-configured and ready-to-run right out of the box.  The
> purpose here is to really give an unzip and go feel that gives you all of
> the components.

From both your emails and the patch you gave, it appears that there is
only one component bundled - the HadoopFDW.

Okay, I'll update the patch accordingly.

Please update your patch to note the other bundled components (and if
it's not obvious, what they do). Please keep it brief though.

>    Aside from that, this BigSQL stacks provide consistency through to the
> Mac as well.

OK. I'm not sure that makes any difference as to whether or not it
should be listed on the main download page (though it is a good thing
of course).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com