Re: PostgreSQL CHARACTER VARYING vs CHARACTER VARYING (Length)

От Paul Carlucci
Тема Re: PostgreSQL CHARACTER VARYING vs CHARACTER VARYING (Length)
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
PG the text, character varying, character varying(length), character column types are all the same thing with each column type inheriting the properties from the parent type.  With each successive type further properties are added but they're all basically just "text" with some additional metadata.  If you're coming from other database engines or just general programming languages where text and fixed length string fields are handled differently then the above can seem a bit different form what you're used to.  Heck, I can think of one engine where if you have a text column you have to query the table for the blob identifier and then issue a separate call to retrieve it.  Here in PG it's literally all the same, handled the same, performs the same.  Use what limiters make sense for your application.