Re: Why to index a "Recently DEAD" tuple when creating index

От Alex
Тема Re: Why to index a "Recently DEAD" tuple when creating index
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 4:10 PM Kuntal Ghosh <kuntalghosh.2007@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 1:30 PM Alex <zhihui.fan1213@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 3:28 PM Kuntal Ghosh <kuntalghosh.2007@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 12:15 PM Alex <zhihui.fan1213@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>  HEAPTUPLE_RECENTLY_DEAD, /* tuple is dead, but not deletable yet */
>>>
>>>  It is a tuple which has been deleted AND committed but before the delete there is a transaction started but not committed. Let call this transaction as Transaction A.
>>>
>>> if we create index on this time, Let's call this index as Index A, it still index this record.  my question is why need this.
>>>
>> In this case, the changes of the tuple is not visible yet. Now suppose, your transaction A is serializable and you've another serializable transaction B which can see the index A. It generates a plan that requires to fetch the deleted tuple through an index scan. If the tuple is not present in the index, how are you going to create a conflict edge between transaction A and transaction B?
>>
>> Basically, you need to identify the following clause to detect serializable conflicts:
>> Transaction A precedes transaction B. (Because, transaction A has deleted a tuple and it's not visible to transaction B)
>>

> thanks Ghosh.  Looks your answer is similar with my previous point (transaction is  serializable).   actually if the transaction B can't see the “deleted" which has been committed,  should it see the index A which is created after the "delete" transaction?

I think what I'm trying to say is different.

For my case, the sequence is as following:
1. Transaction A has deleted a tuple, say t1 and got committed.
2. Index A has been created successfully.
3. Now, transaction B starts and use the index A to fetch the tuple
t1. While doing visibility check, transaction B gets to know that t1
has been deleted by a committed transaction A, so it can't see the
tuple. But, it creates a dependency edge that transaction A precedes
transaction B. This edge is required to detect a serializable conflict
failure.

If you don't create the index entry, it'll not be able to create that edge.

Thanks,  I got the difference now, but still not get the necessity of it.
1.   Assume we don't index it,  in which situation we can get a wrong result?
2.   If we only support "Read Committed" isolation level,  is there a safe way to not index such data?

--
Thanks & Regards,
Kuntal Ghosh

От: Etsuro Fujita
Сообщение: Re: postgres_fdw: oddity in costing presorted foreign scans withlocal stats
От: Zhenghua Lyu
Сообщение: Re: Questions of 'for update'