Re: pg_upgrade: prep_status doesn't translate messages

От Kyotaro Horiguchi
Тема Re: pg_upgrade: prep_status doesn't translate messages
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello.

At Mon, 10 Jun 2019 16:48:42 +0900, Michael Paquier
<michael@paquier.xyz> wrote in <20190610074842.GH2199@paquier.xyz>
> On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 01:57:14PM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> > If we don't do that, translation lines in po files are
> > useless. prep_stauts must be removed from TETTEXT_TRIGGERS, and a
> > comment that explains the reason for not translating.
> >
> > Any opinions?
>
> I agree with your point that it should be an all-or-nothing, and not
> something in the middle.  Now, I would fall into the category of
> people which would prefer making the full set of contents translated,

I'm on the same side. Whether do you think this as a 12-issue or
for later versions? I think there is no risk in changing it now so
I wish the change is contained in 12-shipping.

> and there has been some work in this area recently:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20170523002827.lzc2jkzh2gubclqb@alvherre.pgsql

Thanks for the pointer. I'm seeing the result of the discussion
now. Apart from the discussion of translate-or-not decision,
there can be a discussion how we can reduce the burden of
translation work. I was a bit tired to translate something like
the followings:

old and new pg_controldata block sizes are invalid or do not match
old and new pg_controldata maximum relation segment sizes are invalid
or do not match
old and new pg_controldata WAL block sizes are invalid or do not match

I'm not sure where is the compromisable point between burden of
translators and programmers, though.

regards.
--
Kyotaro Horiguchi