Re: PostgreSQL Dump rate is too slow

От girish R G peetle
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Dump rate is too slow
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Thanks David and Jeff.

@David:  In our case we don't want to redirect the dump data to local disk. We will redirect the dump it to a FIFO file ( pipe ). From FIFO file we read the dump data and push to backup Media ( Tape, SAN etc. ).  So we can't use directory output.

@Jeff: Sure, I will reduce compression ratio and update the thread with outcome. Also I'll recommend to setup standby with streaming replication.

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Jeff Frost <jeff@pgexperts.com> wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2015, at 21:35, girish R G peetle <giri.anamika0@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> We have a customer who has 1TB database on a production server. They are trying dump based backup of this large database. Following dump command is being used.
> Dump rate is around 12 GB/hr, which will take lot of time for the backup to complete. This is affecting their production server.
> Is there is a way to increase dump data rate ?
>
> pg_dump -U <User> -Fc -b --port=<Port> '<Db-Name>'

You could reduce the compression ratio. Gzip defaults to -Z6, but -Z3 is quite a bit quicker with not that much larger dump file.

I did a few tests here: http://frosty-postgres.blogspot.com/2011/12/pgdump-compression-settings.html

Also, if it's is impacting production, you could set up a streaming replica and take the dump from the replica.

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL Dump rate is too slow
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL Dump rate is too slow