Re: Columnar store as default for PostgreSQL 10?

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Columnar store as default for PostgreSQL 10?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 3:08 AM, Bráulio Bhavamitra <brauliobo@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm finally having performance issues with PostgreSQL when doing big analytics queries over almost the entire database of more than 100gb of data.

And what I keep reading all over the web is many databases switching to columnar store (RedShift, Cassandra, cstore_fdw, etc) and having great performance on queries in general and giant boosts with big analytics queries.

I wonder if there is any plans to move postgresql entirely to a columnar store (or at least make it an option), maybe for version 10?

The current extensions are rather limited (types support for example) and require quite some configuration and data migration to work, besides they don't work in services like AWS RDS.

​I have little experience (and nothing practical) with columnar store but at a high level I don't see the point.  I would hope that anyone interested in working on a columnar store database would pick an existing one to improve rather than converting a very successful row store database into one.  And I don't immediately understand how a dual setup would even be viable - it seems like you'd have to re-write so much
​of the code the only thing left would be the SQL parser.

​David J.