Official Windows Installer and Documentation

От David G. Johnston
Тема Official Windows Installer and Documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hey,

Just interacted with a frustrated user on Slack trying to upgrade from v13 to v14 on Windows.  Our official download page for the Windows installer claims the core documentation as its official reference - can someone responsible for this area please suggest and test some changes to make this reality more acceptable.

The particular point that was brought up is our documentation for pg_upgrade says:

RUNAS /USER:postgres "CMD.EXE"
SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\14\bin;

The problem is apparently (I haven't personally tested) our official installer doesn't bother to create the postgres operating system user account.

It is also unclear whether the defaults for pg_hba.conf add some kind of bad interaction here should one fix this particular problem.

And then there is the issue of file ownership.

Assuming we want better documentation for this specific issue for back-patching what would that look like?

Going forward should our installer be creating the postgres user for consistency with other platforms or not?

I suggest adding relevant discussion about this particular official binary distribution to:

David J.