Re: Official Windows Installer and Documentation

От Thomas Kellerer
Тема Re: Official Windows Installer and Documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
David G. Johnston schrieb am 27.07.2022 um 21:21:
> And then there is the issue of file ownership.
>
> Assuming we want better documentation for this specific issue for
> back-patching what would that look like?
>
> Going forward should our installer be creating the postgres user for
> consistency with other platforms or not?

Didn't the installer used to do that in earlier releases and that
was removed when Postgres was able to "drop privileges" when the
service is started?

I remember a lot of problems around the specific Postgres service
account when that still was the case.

As far as I can tell, most of the problems of the Windows installer
stem from the fact that it tries to use icacls to set privileges
on the data directory. This seems to fail quite frequently,
causing the infamous "Problem running post-install step" error.

The fact that the installer still defaults to using "c:\Program Files"
for the location of the data directoy might be related to that.
(but then I don't know enough of the internals of the installer
and Windows)

Just my 0.02€

Thomas