Re: Where is the syntax "<-08>+08" documented—comes from "select current_setting('timezone')"

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Where is the syntax "<-08>+08" documented—comes from "select current_setting('timezone')"
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 1:56 PM David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 1:34 PM Bryn Llewellyn <bryn@yugabyte.com> wrote:
Reading between your lines, the answer to my question « Where is the syntax "<-08>+08" documented? » is NOWHERE! The "B.5. POSIX Time Zone Specifications" page that you pointed me to has not a single example of a "set timezone" statement that does in in the POSIX style. And not a single example of what "show timezone" gives after doing a POZIX style setting. (There's no hit for the left- or right-chevron on the page.)

From the appendix:

Reading again I find this:

"In this syntax, a zone abbreviation can be a string of letters, such as EST, or an arbitrary string surrounded by angle brackets, such as <UTC-05>. Note that the zone abbreviations given here are only used for output, and even then only in some timestamp output formats."

So, the definition of "STD" describes this - it's arguable whether adding the <> to the syntax diagram would be an improvement.

David J.