Re: Where is the syntax "<-08>+08" documented—comes from "select current_setting('timezone')"

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Where is the syntax "<-08>+08" documented—comes from "select current_setting('timezone')"
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 1:34 PM Bryn Llewellyn <bryn@yugabyte.com> wrote:
Reading between your lines, the answer to my question « Where is the syntax "<-08>+08" documented? » is NOWHERE! The "B.5. POSIX Time Zone Specifications" page that you pointed me to has not a single example of a "set timezone" statement that does in in the POSIX style. And not a single example of what "show timezone" gives after doing a POZIX style setting. (There's no hit for the left- or right-chevron on the page.)

From the appendix:

"One should be wary that it is easy to misspell a POSIX-style time zone specification, since there is no check on the reasonableness of the zone abbreviation(s). For example, SET TIMEZONE TO FOOBAR0 will work, leaving the system effectively using a rather peculiar abbreviation for UTC."

You've simply substituted "<>" for "FOOBAR"

I'll agree there is probably room for improvement here in dealing with the corner-cases you describe.  There are just few people who both encounter these niche situations and are in a position to work through patch submission.  As this one probably takes some research too it's even less likely to get attention.

David J.

Сообщение: Re: Where is the syntax "<-08>+08" documented—comes from "select current_setting('timezone')"
Сообщение: Re: Where is the syntax "<-08>+08" documented—comes from "select current_setting('timezone')"