Re: Insert Documentation - Returning Clause and Order

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Insert Documentation - Returning Clause and Order
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thursday, December 10, 2020, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh.bapat.oss@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 9:10 PM David G. Johnston
<david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Would it be accurate to add the following sentence to the INSERT documentation under "Outputs"?
>
> "...inserted or updated by the command."  For a multiple-values insertion, the order of output rows will match the order that rows are presented in the values or query clause.

Postgres's current implementation may be doing so, but I don't think
that can be guaranteed in possible implementations. I don't think
restricting choice of implementation to guarantee that is a good idea
either.

Yeah, the ongoing work on parallel inserts would seem to be an issue.  We should probably document that though.  And maybe as part of parallel inserts patch provide a user-specifiable way to ask for such a guarantee if needed.  ‘Insert returning ordered”

David J.