Re: [DOCS] Syntax for changing owner on sequence is not correct

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: [DOCS] Syntax for changing owner on sequence is not correct
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Tarik Dolovac <tarik.dolovac.sa@gmail.com> wrote:
I am just telling you that in your officiall documentation i didn't find that command.

​What command?  Both OWNED BY and OWNER TO are parts of the ALTER SEQUENCE command and written and described on the page you were reading when you ​filled out the form.

Note that our current release is 9.5 with 10.0 in beta.  Our search results have a tendency to show old versions (you were reading 8.4) so ensuring that you are on current stuff helps.

I founded oj stack owerflow and when i changed command I succesfully changed owner. Also one more hit: documentation will be much better with examples. I am DBA for a 7 years on ms sql and oracle and they have examples which can make life more easily if you are starting with some new tehnologies like postgres.

​Personally I tend to find well written prose and syntax specifications to be sufficient but I don't doubt that examples are helpful.  For better and worse this is a freely available open-source product.  We don't have a mandate that every feature have 6 examples documented for its use.  The volume of questions raised about ALTER SEQUENCE is so low that the motivation to dream up and add new examples just isn't there.  If a patch was submitted, though, it would likely be committed.

David J.