Re: BUG #15035: scram-sha-256 blocks all logins

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: BUG #15035: scram-sha-256 blocks all logins
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 9:55 AM, Meirav Rath <meirav.rath@imperva.com> wrote:
Seriously, though, it took all three of you a whole day to find out something from the depth of your documentation, and when I point out that the documentation is not user-friendly - which this ordeal obviously proved - you complain about it??

​The presumption was that you hadn't read the docs, not that you did and failed to comprehend them.  And, you are welcome to believe the docs are "not user friendly" but unless you explain your actual confusion in detail and/or suggest better alternatives it is difficult to act on that belief.

As for time - this isn't a tech support department; if you need one of those you have to pay a support services company.  In your situation you don't but you then need to deal with people making time to give your problem attention, or strive to understand the documentation better.  That's the trade-off and part of your reality given your role and obligation to your employer and customers to ensure your product works with PostgreSQL.  We do the best we can as people working with strangers via an asynchronous medium.

I indeed missed out on Tom Lane's observation due to my inexperience with this newly released feature.  Tom is a committer for the project and gave you a precise solution "from scratch" - not how to get there from where ever you might currently be.  For my part I pointed out the need to add a trust entry to pg_hba.conf so you could login and make changes and in my haste didn't think to point exactly where it needed to be placed.  Once I saw your post, later in the day, with the trust line and scram lines reversed I realized you weren't aware of the precedence rules for pg_hba.conf and pointed them out to you and let you figure out you had them in the wrong order.  I didn't spend those 6 hours researching, I spent 2 minutes on an iPad in the evening while watching Jeopardy.

You want empathy from us for your situation, we would ask the same of you.

David J.

Сообщение: Re: BUG #15035: scram-sha-256 blocks all logins
Сообщение: Re: BUG #15035: scram-sha-256 blocks all logins