Re: BUG #16726: Invalid input syntax is not a useful error message

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: BUG #16726: Invalid input syntax is not a useful error message
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 5:04 PM PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

Bug reference:      16726
Logged by:          No useful error message
Email address:      nozdrum@gmx.de
PostgreSQL version: 13.0
Operating system:   Linux

`ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type uuid:
"dec3d6c4-c32e-45c6-1eae3df44fbf"`

I'm not sure why "specifically a group of 8 digits followed by three groups of 4 digits followed by a group of 12 digits" is confusing: but your attempts only have two groups of 4 digits, not three as the documentation explicitly tells and shows.

I also tried curly braces ( as suggested by your awful documentation ), but
this just leads to
`syntax error at or near "{"`

If the characters are otherwise correct curly braces works just fine.

When writing a non-integer literal you always enclose the value in single quotes.  The documentation generally omits these mandatory single quotes in the interest of readability.  You'll need to get used to that.

What I want:
a) That your documentation tells me the syntax for this

It did.
b) That your error messages FOR ONCE are not useless and tell me the
expected syntax, you are wasting millions of hours of developer time and
human life, because you can not be asked to make useful error messages.

That is generally left for the documentation.  The time spent on error path messages seems generally sufficient IMO; though I would agree that a patch to improve this one wouldn't be out of line.

David J.

Сообщение: Re: BUG #16726: Invalid input syntax is not a useful error message
Сообщение: Re: BUG #16726: Invalid input syntax is not a useful error message