Re: BUG #16726: Invalid input syntax is not a useful error message

От Vik Fearing
Тема Re: BUG #16726: Invalid input syntax is not a useful error message
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On 11/19/20 12:55 AM, PG Bug reporting form wrote:

> Example-query i tried:
> update users set
>   some_uuid_field = 'dec3d6c4-c32e-45c6-1eae3df44fbf'
> where
>   id = 5
>
> What I want:
> a) That your documentation tells me the syntax for this
> b) That your error messages FOR ONCE are not useless and tell me the
> expected syntax, you are wasting millions of hours of developer time and
> human life, because you can not be asked to make useful error messages.

The documentation tells you exactly what the syntax should be, and the
error message couldn't be clearer.  It says "specifically a group of 8
digits followed by three groups of 4 digits followed by a group of 12
digits" but you've only supplied two groups of 4 digits in the middle.

--
Vik Fearing