Re: Why don't custom GUCs show in pg_settings?

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Why don't custom GUCs show in pg_settings?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 9:39 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I've seen and can work with various work-arounds but it seems odd that
> pg_settings doesn't show these custom GUCs.

Because we don't know what type they should be.

If we're ever to support custom GUCs properly, rather than as a hack that
accidentally sorta works, there needs to be a way to declare them and
establish their properties; whereupon there would be info for pg_settings
to display.

​It seems that a "reasonable defaults"​ policy would be better than nothing...though given the "missing_ok" feature the work-around with pg_settings isn't needed.

​The existing set_config would setup the text-oriented defaults while, if someone cares enough, a set_custom_config (or overloaded set_config) function could be written that would allow specifying​ stuff like description, unit, initial value, etc.

But what amounts to a session-local hstore seem, whose contents are displayed in pg_settings along with the system GUCs, and is documented, seems like an adequate feature to acknowledge officially.

> Is there a simple way to read the value without receiving an error if the
> value is missing?

See 10fb48d66, which I don't particularly approve of because it piled
another hack on top of that mess without doing a thing to make it cleaner.

​Thanks.

I recalled seeing that, just didn't remember that it is new to 9.6 -  I only looked at the 9.5 documentation and didn't see it.

David J.​