Re: BUG #16550: Problem with pg_service.conf

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: BUG #16550: Problem with pg_service.conf
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 10:16 AM PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

Bug reference:      16550
Logged by:          Michal L
Email address:      fcs1@poczta.onet.pl
PostgreSQL version: 9.6.11
Operating system:   Windows 7 x64 Pro/Ultimate

I can't connect to a database via service defined in pg_service.conf file
from remote machine.

This is unlikely to be a bug.

The error message is necessary for others to provide assistance.  Sending an email with that, and possibly more, detail and asking for help to the -general list would be an appropriate next step.

Demonstrating that such a connection can be made with a complete psql command line invocation would help.

Connection from local machine using this service definition works fine.

Which is odd but further lessens the likelihood that this is a bug.

The other problem is with the localization of the pg_service.conf file.
Reading internet solutions, I found, that this file may be placed in global
configuration folder. In my case it is D:\PostgrSQLx86\9.6\etc (the
SYSCONFDIR variable displayed by pg_config.exe).
Placing the file into this folder does not work.

The absence of an "e" in PostgrSQL seems suspicious...

I had to define the global system variable PGSERVICEFILE =
D:\PostgrSQLx86\9.6\etc\pg_service.conf.
After that the connection to database via service began work, but only on
local machine.

...though the same typo is here so maybe it's fine.  I'm still inclined to believe that either a typo exists, or maybe a user permission issue, before thinking it was a bug.

Doubt it matters but you should also include the full 9.6.x version on the email to -general.  If that discussion turns up a demonstrable bug then this report should be amended to include its details.

David J.