Re: Analyze on Foreign Data Wrappers - clarification

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Analyze on Foreign Data Wrappers - clarification
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Monday, October 11, 2021, PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

Foreign tables are analyzed only when explicitly selected.

2. When I run the analyze command with the FDW table as a parameter

That

Also, I am not clear if analyze is run on FDW tables when Automvacuum runs;
does it run analyze on FDW tables by default.

Based on the prior item I would expect no.  It would usually have insufficient data to do otherwise.

I didn’t look hard but aside from this comment about analyze working on foreign tables, if asked, I find no relevant “why” discussion regarding the interaction of analyze and foreign tables in the documentation.  Frankly, I’m unsure why it even needs to work at all.

David J.