Обсуждение: Analyze on Foreign Data Wrappers - clarification

Analyze on Foreign Data Wrappers - clarification

От
PG Doc comments form
Дата:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/sql-analyze.html

Foreign tables are analyzed only when explicitly selected.

Nothing wrong just maybe my newness to PG.   I don't understand what
"selected" means here:
1. When I select the table in a query
2. When I run the analyze command with the FDW table as a parameter
3. Or something else

Also, I am not clear if analyze is run on FDW tables when Automvacuum runs;
does it run analyze on FDW tables by default.

Thanks,
Leon

Re: Analyze on Foreign Data Wrappers - clarification

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
Foreign tables are analyzed only when explicitly selected.

2. When I run the analyze command with the FDW table as a parameter

That

Also, I am not clear if analyze is run on FDW tables when Automvacuum runs;
does it run analyze on FDW tables by default.

Based on the prior item I would expect no.  It would usually have insufficient data to do otherwise.

I didn’t look hard but aside from this comment about analyze working on foreign tables, if asked, I find no relevant “why” discussion regarding the interaction of analyze and foreign tables in the documentation.  Frankly, I’m unsure why it even needs to work at all.

David J.