Re: Official Windows Installer and Documentation

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Official Windows Installer and Documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday, July 27, 2022, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 07:02:51PM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:

> In the end the problem is ours and cannot be simply assigned to a
> third-party.  So let's resolve it here (on this list, whatever the
> solution) where representatives from all parties are present.

We could amend the pg_upgrade (and maybe other if needed, but I don't see any
other occurences of RUNAS) documentation to be a bit more general, like the
non-windows part of it, maybe something like

For Windows users, you must be logged into an administrative account, and then
start a shell as the user running the postgres service and set the proper path.
Assuming a user named postgres and the binaries installed in C:\Program
Files\PostgreSQL\14:

RUNAS /USER:postgres "CMD.EXE"
SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\14\bin;

It's ultimately up to the users to adapt the commands to match their
environment.

Ultimately we do our users the best service if when they operate an installation using defaults that they have documentation showing how to perform something like an upgrade that works with those defaults.  I don’t see much point making that change in isolation until it is obvious nothing better is forthcoming. If the o/s user postgres doesn’t exist then you need to supply -U postgres cause the install user for PostgresSQL is still postgres.  So why not assume the user is whatever the EDB installer uses and make that the example?  If someone has an install on Windows that uses the postgres account adapting the command for them should be trivial and the majority installer users get a command sequence that works.

David J.