Re: [BUGS] ON COMMIT DROP unstable behaviour

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: [BUGS] ON COMMIT DROP unstable behaviour
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 1:12 PM, Ian R. Campbell <ian.campbell@thepathcentral.com> wrote:
Hi

I'm using PG 10, pgAdmin 4, and PGMaestro 17.8.0.1.

I have a function that creates a temp table marked ON COMMIT DROP. The function performs read-only ops on the DB apart from using the temp table.

I observed the temp table sometimes fails to drop when executing the function. I am able to query its contents. Multiple calls to the function simply increases the temp table's contents.

I narrowed it down to the following scenario:

1) Remove the ON COMMIT DROP
2) Compile
3) Execute "SELECT * FROM func(1)"... temp table visible as expected
4) Put back the ON COMMIT DROP
5) Compile
6) Execute... temp table visible and grows with each call to the function

Dropping all connections to the DB, reconnecting, and executing the function (without modification) will result in expected behavior: temp table drops.

​Given that this is unlikely to be a PostgreSQL bug I would say providing a definitive answer will require you to provide a self-contained test case.  I would suggest you forgo the whole "compile" thing, though, as its probably complicating things - and a realistic use case for temporary tables does not involve "removing and putting back" ON COMMIT DROP.

The conclusion/return of a function does not cause a "Commit" to happen.  Either auto-commit is in effect (and so when the statement ends so does the transaction) or you must manually issue a "commit".  "Dropping all connections to the db" serves the same purpose.

David J.​