Re: [HACKERS] reload-through-the-top-parent switch the partition table

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: [HACKERS] reload-through-the-top-parent switch the partition table
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 1:08 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> --restore-via-partition-root ?

> I worry someone will think that pg_dump is now restoring stuff, but it isn't.

Well, the point is that the commands it emits will cause the eventual
restore to go through the root.  Anyway, I think trying to avoid using
a verb altogether is going to result in a very stilted option name.

I notice that the option list already includes some references to
"insert", so maybe "--insert-via-partition-root"?  Although you could
argue that that's confusing when we're using COPY.

--use-partitioned-table [partition-name, ...]  # if names are omitted it defaults to all partitioned tables

I don't know that we need to use "root" in the argument name to communicate "the top-most if partitioned tables are nested".  We have the docs to describe exactly what it does.  "Partitioned Table" is what we are calling the main routing table in the docs.  "Use" seems adequate.

FWIW my first thought was "--insert-via-partition-root" and I didn't mind that "COPY" commands would be affected implicitly.

David J.