Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 8:09 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 11:58 PM David G. Johnston
<david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 7:47 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, I think it's a good idea to clear the subskipxid after the first
>> transaction regardless of whether the worker skipped it.
>>

> So basically instead of stopping the worker with an error you suggest having the worker continue applying changes (after resetting subskipxid, and - arguably - the ?_error_* fields).  Log the transaction xid mis-match as a warning in the log file as opposed to an error.

Agreed, I think it's better to log a warning than to raise an error.
In the case where the user specified the wrong XID, the worker should
fail again due to the same error.

If it remains possible for the system to accept a wrongly specified XID I would agree that this behavior is preferable.  At least when the user wonders why the skip didn't work and they are seeing the same error again they will have a log entry warning telling them their XID choice was incorrect.  I would prefer that the system not accept a wrongly specified XID and the user be told directly and sooner that their XID choice was incorrect.

David J.