doc: Bring mention of unique index forced transaction wait behavior outside of the internal section

От David G. Johnston
Тема doc: Bring mention of unique index forced transaction wait behavior outside of the internal section
Дата
Ответы Re: doc: Bring mention of unique index forced transaction wait behavior outside of the internal section  (Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander@timescale.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi.

The fact that one transaction will wait on another if they are trying to claim the same unique value is presently relegated to a subchapter of the documentation where the typical reader will not even understand (rightly so) the main chapter's title.  This has prompted a number of questions being sent to the mailing list over the years about a topic we do cover in some detail in the documentation, most recently here:

Attached is a proposal for incorporating some high-level detail within the MVCC Chapter, where readers are already looking to learn about how transactions interact with each other and are "isolated" (or not, in this case) from each other.

I'm neither married to the verbiage nor location but it seems better than nothing and a modest improvement for not much effort.  It's basically a glorified cross-reference.  I didn't dislike directing the reader to the internals section enough to try and establish a better location for the main content.  It just needs better navigation to it from places the reader is expected to peruse.

David J.

Вложения