Re: Problems connecting PGAdmin to server

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Problems connecting PGAdmin to server
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 8:46 AM, Samuel Holmes <Holmes-W@ulster.ac.uk> wrote:

I am using Pgadmin as a frontend to maintain a Postgresql database hosted on Heroku.  If I connect to the database from my home wifi connection, it connects successfully.  It also connects successfully if I tether using my mobile phone.  However if I use my university’s student WiFi, I cannot connect and I get the following error:

could not connect to server: Connection timed out (0x0000274C/10060) Is the server running on host <HOSTNAME> (<IP ADDRESS>) and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

How do I even begin to troubleshoot this?  I have checked that Pgadmin has permission in my firewall (it does), and I have checked that port, username, host, and password are correct (which they are as it works from home).  I thought maybe the port was blocked, so I used an online port checker – while it DID say port 5432 was closed on my university WiFi it also says this when tethered with my phone – but the connection DOES work on my phone.

Two simple possibilities:
Heroku is blocking on their (the server) side, not yours (the client).​
The University is blocking outbound traffic on that port.

I suspect you can check and configure the first one; the second one you'd need to inquire with your university's IT department.

You are using the same machine at home and at the university?  If so that should preclude it being your machine (though its possible your firewall has different settings when connected to the different wifi networks).

Online port checkers are prone to false negatives.

David J.