Re: temp_buffers and work_mem and big temp tables

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: temp_buffers and work_mem and big temp tables
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

On Tuesday, November 10, 2020, Wells Oliver <wells.oliver@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey all: I was wondering if someone might spell out which setting has more impact on temporary tables being stored in memory versus disk? I have read the docs but I thought I'd reach out and ask the community: I keep increasing both in some scripts where Large Temp Tables are created, but I'm wondering if it's more efficient just to use one or the other.

IIUC work_mem has nothing to do with temporary tables.  All tables have a disk component and read/writes are done via buffers.

David J.