Re: Rename max_parallel_degree?

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Rename max_parallel_degree?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Josh berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
On 05/31/2016 11:27 AM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 11:22 AM, Josh berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>> I think we can hope that developers are going to be less confused about
>>> that than users.
>>
>> Makes sense.
>
> Maybe EXPLAIN doesn't have to use the term parallel worker at all. It
> can instead use a slightly broader terminology, possibly including the
> term "core".
2. max_parallel_X and EXPLAIN output

​This is helped greatly if we can say:

Leader: xxx
Worker 0: yyy
Worker 1: zzz​

​David Rowley's  response on April 30th provides an example explain output should anyone want to an easy source to look at.

Getting across the point that session process are not worker processes seems doable.  The implementation detail that they do indeed perform work can be made evident in the explain but otherwise left an implementation detail.

David J.