Re: BUG #16492: DROP VIEW IF EXISTS error

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: BUG #16492: DROP VIEW IF EXISTS error
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Monday, June 15, 2020, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

po 15. 6. 2020 v 8:51 odesílatel Nina Marlow <postgresql.2020@t-net.ruhr> napsal:
> the most likely effect of such a change is that we fix no scripts, while
> breaking any scripts that were dependent on the existing behavior.

As the documentation seems to always have said that "IF EXISTS" doesn't raise an error, there's no script that could get broken.

On the other side, currently I currently don't see a way of dropping a view or table without knowing its exact type.

So to drop a *view*, I need to be sure that there is no *table* with the same name. I have to check that first before using DROP. But that makes IF EXISTS more or less useless because I might just as well check whether the view exists and depending on the result either do a DROP or not.

It is harder when you introduce schemas and search_path.

We know so in one schema there cannot be view and table with same name, but you can have more schemas on search_path

So the behaviour can be little bit different if you use qualified name or not

Huh?  The lack of concrete examples makes it difficult to take seriously your defense of the current behavior.

David J.