Re: Proposed patch for key managment

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Proposed patch for key managment
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 2:44 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 09:38:55PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > I'll have a go at adding another keyring and/or abstracting the key
> > wrap and see how well a true peer to the passphrase approach fits in.
>
> Having patches to review and consider definitely helps, imv.

I disagree.  Our order is:

        Desirability -> Design -> Implement -> Test -> Review -> Commit
        https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo#Development_Process

so, by posting a patch, you are decided to skip the first _two_
requirements.  I think it might be time for me to create a new thread
so it is not confused by whatever is posted here.

I agree with Stephen; so maybe that part of the Wiki needs to be updated instead of having it sit there for use as a hammer when someone disagrees with a proffered patch.

Or maybe consider that "a patch" doesn't only mean "implement" - it is simply another language through which desirability and design can also be communicated.  The author gets to decide how wordy their prose is and choosing a wordy but concise language that is understandable by the vast majority of the target audience seems like it should be considered acceptable.

David J.

Сообщение: Re: Proposed patch for key managment
Сообщение: Re: Proposed patch for key managment