Re: PSQL error: total cell count of XXX exceeded

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: PSQL error: total cell count of XXX exceeded
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Friday, August 25, 2023, Hongxu Ma <interma@outlook.com> wrote:

When I tried to select a big amount of rows, psql complains a error "Cannot add cell to table content: total cell count of 905032704 exceeded."

 We should use long for ncolumns and nrows and give a more obvious error message here.

Any thoughts? or some other hidden reasons?

9 millions cells seems more than realistic a limit for a psql query result output.  In any case it isn’t a bug, the code demonstrates that fact by producing an explicit error.

I wouldn’t be adverse to an improved error message, and possibly documenting said limit.

David J.