Re: doc: Bring mention of unique index forced transaction wait behavior outside of the internal section

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: doc: Bring mention of unique index forced transaction wait behavior outside of the internal section
Дата
Ответ на Re: doc: Bring mention of unique index forced transaction wait behavior outside of the internal section  (Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander@timescale.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 6:49 AM Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander@timescale.com> wrote:
Hi David,

> It's basically a glorified cross-reference.  I didn't dislike directing the reader to the internals section enough to try and establish a better location for the main content.

One problem I see is that:

+ [..], but as there is no pre-existing data, visibility checks are unnecessary.

... allows a wide variety of interpretations, most of which will be
wrong. And all in all I find an added paragraph somewhat cryptic.

Yeah, I'd probably have to say "but since no existing record is being modified, visibility checks are unnecessary".

Is there a specific mis-interpretation that first came to mind for you that I can consider specifically?

If the goal is to add a cross-reference I suggest keeping it short,
something like "For additional details on various corner cases please
see ...".

That does work, and I may end up there, but it feels unsatisfying to be so vague/general.

David J.