Re: Why are pg_restore taking that long ?

От Josh Kupershmidt
Тема Re: Why are pg_restore taking that long ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 10:57 PM, Bosco Rama <postgres@boscorama.com> wrote:
> Hey Josh,
>
> I found the message I was seeing.  It was/is(?) in StartRestoreBlob() and it
> looks like this:
>
>    ahlog(AH, 2, "restoring large object with OID %u\n", oid);
>
> But I don't know how to find it in the current git tree or how to activate
> it from the command-line (assuming it is still part of the release).

Yup, that's still there, see pg_backup_archiver.c in git head:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/bin/pg_dump/pg_backup_archiver.c;h=e29265953d46aa9730eccca41062dfd9b2c45ba3;hb=f1f6737e154f9d00f1565fc08fd7ac677b380822

The reason that message doesn't show up is it's being logged with
level=2, and with the "-v" or "--verbose" switch, only messages at
level 1 or less get logged. Notice that pg_backup_archiver.c and
pg_backup_tar.c use an inconsistent log level for this same message,
which might explain where you saw the message previously. If you're
using a tar-format backup, you will see the message:

  pg_restore: restoring large object OID 16388

for each LO in verbose mode.

Now, if you're keen on seeing that message for custom-format archives,
you could change that "2" to a "1" in the line you posted from
pg_backup_archiver.c and recompile, and that should give you the
message you're after. Or change this bit in pg_restore.c to assign a 2
instead of a 1:

            case 'v':           /* verbose */
                opts->verbose = 1;
        break;

It'd sure be nice to have these programs allow "-vvvv" style switches
to signify cranking up the debugLevel, unless I'm missing some other
way to do so.

Josh