Re: error when upgrading 9.4 to 9.5 manually

От arnaud gaboury
Тема Re: error when upgrading 9.4 to 9.5 manually
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 7:07 PM, Adrian Klaver
<adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
> On 07/10/2016 03:13 AM, arnaud gaboury wrote:
>>
>> My box upgraded postgresql from 9.4.8 to 9.5.3 when doing a full
>> version upgrade (Fedora 23 --> 24).
>>
>> I have now :
>>
>> /db/pgsal/data ----> initialized with 9.5, with postgresql.conf and
>> pg_hab.conf from 9.4
>> /db/pgsql/data.old ----> the old one from 9.4
>

> Which is the opposite of what you said here:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAK1hC9t6h9CENXQ6FHchx1Ny1AAAuYf2ARTpeospz1Jd7q_qLg%40mail.gmail.com
>

>> How can I start postgres with socket location in /db/pgsql ? There is
>> no option in pg_ctl to indicate socket directory.?
>>
>> Thank you for help
>

> At this point I think your best option is to start over, if that is
> possible. By this I mean:
>
> 1) See if it is possible to get a Fedora 24 package from Fedora for Postgres
> 9.4.
>
> 2) If it is make sure you have the existing 9.4 cluster saved somewhere out
> of the way.
>
> 3) Uninstall Postgres 9.5
>
> 4) Install Postgres 9.4 and copy the cluster you saved 2) into the data
> directory.
>
> 5) Decide whether you want to stay with 9.4 or move up to 9.5.
>
> 6) If you do decide to move up take a pg_dump of the 9.4 data before you do
> anything.

I already wasted too much time on this issue. I had one back up of my
/db/pgsql/data folder. I know this folder is clean and was the one I
used with 9.4. Now, using this folder, none of the described methods
work.
I decided to initialize a new DB and create again the database, as
this one was luckily small.
Now everything is OK and I will act differently on the next major
version upgrade.

Thank you for your patience.