Re: [HACKERS] visual studio 2017 build support

От Haribabu Kommi
Тема Re: [HACKERS] visual studio 2017 build support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 7:03 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

On 08/25/2017 11:29 PM, Haribabu Kommi wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 11:27 PM, Christian Ullrich
> <chris@chrullrich.net <mailto:chris@chrullrich.net>> wrote:
>
>     * On 2017-06-21 02:06, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
>
>         Thanks for the review. Here I attached an updated patch with
>         README update.
>

>     Hello,
>

> Thanks for the review.
>

>     the most recent update to VS 2017, version 15.3, now identifies as
>     "14.11" rather than "14.10" in the output of nmake /?. Simply
>     adding this value to the two places that check for 14.10 in your
>     patch appears to work for me.
>

> VS 2017 doesn't change the nmake version to 15, and it is updating
> with every minor version, so I changed the check to accept
> everything that is greater than 14.10 and eq 15, in case in future if
> VS 2017 changes the version number.
>

>     In a newly created project, PlatformToolset is still "v141".
>     ToolsVersion is "15.0" whereas your patch uses "14.1".
>
>     ISTM that the ToolsVersion has been like this in all versions of
>     VS 2017; in my collection of .vcxproj files the auto-generated
>     PostgreSQL projects are the only ones using "14.1".
>

> Updated the Tools version to 15.0 and kept the platform toolset as
> V141, this because the toolset is version is still points
> to V141, when I create a sample project with VS 2017 and the version
> number is inline with nmake version also.

I was about to commit this after a good bit of testing when I noticed this:

    +   Building with <productname>Visual Studio 2017</productname> is
    supported
    +   down to <productname>Windows 7 SP1</> and <productname>Windows
    Server 2012 R2</>.

I was able to build on Windows Server 2008 without a problem, so I'm
curious why we are saying it's not supported.

Thanks for the review.

From the visual studio system requirements [1], in the section of supported
operating systems, it is mentioned as windows 7 SP1 and windows server
2012 R2 and didn't mentioned anything about 2008, because of this reason,
I mentioned as that it supported till the above operating systems. As I don't
have windows server 2008 system availability, so I didn't verify the same.

The visual studio 2017 product itself is not mentioned as that it supports
windows server 2008, can we go ahead and mention it in our documentation?

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia