Re: Libpq support to connect to standby server as priority

От Haribabu Kommi
Тема Re: Libpq support to connect to standby server as priority
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 5:01 PM Tsunakawa, Takayuki <tsunakawa.takay@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:
From: Robert Haas [mailto:robertmhaas@gmail.com]
> I really dislike having both target_sesion_attrs and
> target_server_type.  It doesn't solve any actual problem.  master,
> slave, prefer-save, or whatever you like could be put in
> target_session_attrs just as easily, and then we wouldn't end up with
> two keywords doing closely related things.  'master' is no more or
> less a server attribute than 'read-write'.

Hmm, that may be OK.  At first, I felt it strange to treat the server type (primary or standby) as a session attribute.  But we can see the server type as one attribute in a sense that a session is established for.  I'm inclined to agree with:

target_session_attr = {any | read-write | read-only | prefer-read | primary | standby | prefer-standby}

Thanks for your suggestions.

Based on the above new options that can be added to target_session_attrs,

primary - it is just an alias to the read-write option.
standby, prefer-standby - These options should check whether server is running in recovery mode or not
instead of checking whether server accepts read-only connections or not?

Regards,
Haribabu Kommi
Fujitsu Australia