Re: Conflict Detection and Resolution

От shveta malik
Тема Re: Conflict Detection and Resolution
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 2:33 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 3:39 PM shveta malik <shveta.malik@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Does setting up resolvers have any meaning without subscriptions? I am
> > > wondering whether we should allow to set up the resolvers at the
> > > subscription level. One benefit is that users don't need to use a
> > > different DDL to set up resolvers. The first patch gives a conflict
> > > detection option at the subscription level, so it would be symmetrical
> > > to provide a resolver at the subscription level. Yet another benefit
> > > could be that it provides users facility to configure different
> > > resolvers for a set of tables belonging to a particular
> > > publication/node.
> >
> > There can be multiple tables included in a publication with varying
> > business use-cases and thus may need different resolvers set, even
> > though they all are part of the same publication.
> >

> Agreed but this is the reason we are planning to keep resolvers at the
> table level. Here, I am asking to set resolvers at the subscription
> level rather than at the global level.

Okay, got it. I misunderstood earlier that we want to replace table
level resolvers with subscription ones.
Having global configuration has one benefit that if the user has no
requirement to set different resolvers for different subscriptions or
tables, he may always set one global configuration and be done with
it. OTOH, I also agree with benefits coming with subscription level
configuration.

thanks
Shveta