Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation

От shveta malik
Тема Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 3, 2024 at 11:17 AM Bharath Rupireddy

> > I like this idea better, it takes care of such a case too when the
> > user is relying on sync-function rather than worker and does not want
> > to get the slots invalidated in between 2 sync function calls.
>
> Please find the attached v31 patches implementing the above idea:

Thanks for the patches, please find few comments:

v31-001:

1)
system-views.sgml:
value will get updated  after every synchronization from the
corresponding remote slot on the primary.

--This is confusing. It will be good to rephrase it.

2)
update_synced_slots_inactive_since()

--May be, we should mention in the header that this function is called
only during promotion.

3) 040_standby_failover_slots_sync.pl:
We capture inactive_since_on_primary when we do this for the first time at #175
ALTER SUBSCRIPTION regress_mysub1 DISABLE"

But we again recreate the sub and disable it at line #280.
Do you think we shall get inactive_since_on_primary again here, to be
compared with inactive_since_on_new_primary later?

v31-002:
(I had reviewed v29-002 but missed to post comments,  I think these
are still applicable)

1) I think replication_slot_inactivity_timeout was recommended here
(instead of replication_slot_inactive_timeout, so please give it a
thought):
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/202403260739.udlp7lxixktx%40alvherre.pgsql

2) Commit msg:
a)
"It is often easy for developers to set a timeout of say 1
or 2 or 3 days at slot level, after which the inactive slots get
dropped."

Shall we say invalidated rather than dropped?

b)
"To achieve the above, postgres introduces a GUC allowing users
set inactive timeout and then a slot stays inactive for this much
amount of time it invalidates the slot."

Broken sentence.

<have not reviewed 002 patch in detail yet>

thanks
Shveta