Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system

От Fred .Flintstone
Тема Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 3:36 PM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 08:56:35PM +0200, Fred .Flintstone wrote:
> >So there is no regression potential.
> >

> I fail to understand how you came to this conclusion? Andreas pointed
> out Debian already uses pg_createcluster, so there clearly is potential
> for conflict and a regression.
But there is no "createcluster" in PostgreSQL so that is not a problem.
I don't know if there is any other third-party programs that carry the
pg_ prefix though.

> >When and who can send the patch to rename the programs to carry the
> >pg_ prefixes, and create symlinks from the old names?
> >

> Well, presumably that would be you, sometime in the future?
It would be better if someone with more experienced than me did it.

> TBH I don't quite understand what are we trying to achieve in this
> thread. It started with the presumption that PostgreSQL "pollutes" the
> filesystem with scripts/binaries - which may or may not be true, but for
> the sake of the argument let's assume that it is. How does keeping the
> original stuff and adding symblinks improve the situation?
It would ease in discoverability and make the user space more coherent
and predictable which would make it easier to use.
It would also allow to move the symlinks into an optional package or
remove them in the future.

От: Tomas Vondra
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Useless code in RelationCacheInitializePhase3