Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Please don't top post. It makes it unnecessarily difficult to follow the
discussion. See https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 08:56:35PM +0200, Fred .Flintstone wrote:
>So there is no regression potential.

I fail to understand how you came to this conclusion? Andreas pointed
out Debian already uses pg_createcluster, so there clearly is potential
for conflict and a regression.

>When and who can send the patch to rename the programs to carry the
>pg_ prefixes, and create symlinks from the old names?

Well, presumably that would be you, sometime in the future?

TBH I don't quite understand what are we trying to achieve in this
thread. It started with the presumption that PostgreSQL "pollutes" the
filesystem with scripts/binaries - which may or may not be true, but for
the sake of the argument let's assume that it is. How does keeping the
original stuff and adding symblinks improve the situation?

>On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 5:19 PM Andreas Karlsson <andreas@proxel.se> wrote:
>>
>> On 4/12/19 5:14 PM, Chris Travers wrote:
>> > 1. naming things is surprisingly hard.  How sure are we that we can do
>> > this right?  Can we come up with a correct name for initdb?  Maybe
>> > pg_createcluster?
>>
>> The Debian packagers already use pg_createcluster for their script which
>> wraps initdb, and while pg_initdb is a bit misleading (it creates a
>> cluster rather than a database) it is not that bad.
>>
>> Andreas

regards