Re: [SQL] PostgreSQL 9.3 DB initialization issue

От Steve Midgley
Тема Re: [SQL] PostgreSQL 9.3 DB initialization issue
Дата
Список pgsql-sql

On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 9:44 AM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 05/13/2017 08:53 AM, Ashish Tiwari wrote:
Hi Andrian,

The data have kept separate as in

/pgsql/data2 directory.

We are passing this path while starting the server using pg-ctl from bin directory as well this data path is given in to postgresql.conf .

So in current situation the binary is as of 9.3 and data is as of 9.2

As an alternative can we install the 9.2 and manually make the up DB is it possible Or data is lost ?. finally

If  /pgsql/data2 represents the Postgres 9.2 data directory then the data is not lost.

I am including information from your previous post in the below.

> $./initdb  -D /pgsql/9.3/main/data

Are you overriding the default location that Debian uses?:

https://wiki.debian.org/PostgreSql

I would look at the above to see how you can use the Debian tools to maintain/create multiple Postgres clusters.

> 9.2 is uninstalled now.

You will need to install it again to be able to access the data in the 9.2 data directory you show above(/pgsql/data2). I would maintain that copy(/pgsql/data2) and just copy it into the 9.2 cluster when you get it reinstalled. If you want to upgrade to 9.3, then use the 9.3 pg_dumpall to dump the 9.2 data and then the 9.3 pg_restore to restore it into the 9.3 instance.

Thanks.
BR,Ashish

I am by no means an expert on any of this, but Adrian, I think you have a typo in your instructions? Should it read:

 "use the [9.2] pg_dumpall to dump the 9.2 data and then the 9.3 pg_restore to restore it into the 9.3 instance." (in the original it said [9.3] where my brackets are).

I think you meant to say that v 9.2 server binary should be used to call pg_dumpall (and run against the v9.2 running server instance), and then the resulting dump file can be read into the 9.3 server by using the v9.3 binary for pg_restore. The pg_restore (v9.3) command will operate using source files created by pg_dumpall, and load that into 9.3 running server instance.

If I'm wrong about this, please correct me. But given the context of debugging on this email thread, it seemed like I should point this (possible) typo out, so there was no ambiguity for Ashish and his team.

Steve

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: [SQL] PostgreSQL 9.3 DB initialization issue
Сообщение: Re: [SQL] PostgreSQL 9.3 DB initialization issue