Re: overwrite column data select - Postgres 9.2

От Patrick B
Тема Re: overwrite column data select - Postgres 9.2
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Yes.. it is a conde issue and not a DB issue

Hi Patrick.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick B" <patrickbakerbr@gmail.com>
To: "pgsql-general" <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 1:02 AM
Subject: [GENERAL] overwrite column data select - Postgres 9.2

I've got a table with email column:

email CHARACTER VARYING(50) DEFAULT ''::CHARACTER VARYING NOT NULL,

An off-topic question.

Does your application explicitly restrict the length of email addresses to 50 characters? Are you able to dictate an email address maximum length of 50 characters? Or do you actually expect your application to be able accept any valid email address from users?

The reason I ask is -- the maximum length of a valid email address is actually 256 characters (or 254, according comments in the PHP function is_valid_email_address(...) that I found on the Internet at http://code.iamcal.com/ and use myself).

In my own PG DDL, I define email addresses like:

 contact_email_addr varchar(256) NOT NULL,

Disclosure: I'm a PG newbie (and a relative SQL newbie, too), and not familiar with the DEFAULT ":: notation in your DDL.

Steve

There are 30k rows and the email column is not null... there is data in
there.
But for testing purpose I need to overwrite the email. So the customer
won't get an email from me while testing code.

The email could be replaced by: test.UID@example.com

How can I do that?
Thanks!
Patrick

That's just a test server.... it's not a copy from production or either production environment....
I'm just testing the commands... on production the email column is varchar(255)

Patrick