Re: overwrite column data select - Postgres 9.2

От Steve Petrie, P.Eng.
Тема Re: overwrite column data select - Postgres 9.2
Дата
Re: overwrite column data select - Postgres 9.2  (Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi Patrick.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick B" <patrickbakerbr@gmail.com>
To: "pgsql-general" <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 1:02 AM
Subject: [GENERAL] overwrite column data select - Postgres 9.2

> I've got a table with email column:
>
>> email CHARACTER VARYING(50) DEFAULT ''::CHARACTER VARYING NOT NULL,

An off-topic question.

Does your application explicitly restrict the length of email addresses
to 50 characters? Are you able to dictate an email address maximum
length of 50 characters? Or do you actually expect your application to
be able accept any valid email address from users?

The reason I ask is -- the maximum length of a valid email address is
actually 256 characters (or 254, according comments in the PHP function
is_valid_email_address(...) that I found on the Internet at
http://code.iamcal.com/ and use myself).

In my own PG DDL, I define email addresses like:

  contact_email_addr varchar(256) NOT NULL,

Disclosure: I'm a PG newbie (and a relative SQL newbie, too), and not
familiar with the DEFAULT ":: notation in your DDL.

Steve