Re: Rackspace to RDS using DMS (Postgres 9.2)

От Patrick B
Тема Re: Rackspace to RDS using DMS (Postgres 9.2)
Дата
Список pgsql-general

It is 2.3TB, it is going to take a long time no matter what service you are running.

I know that Joshua! I just wanna get an idea from someone who has used DMS service...

No, I have not used DMS. Frankly, with all respect to AWS/RDS the idea of running a 2.3TB instance that will get any level of performance sounds ridiculously expensive.

A business that has a 2.3TB database large, is not worried about costs... the system has been running fine since 2009 and now it's time to change the infrastructure to something more easily to make changes when needed.... We also have lots of customers in Australia and USA, so the Viability at Amazon will help with the latency for sure.

Sincerely,

JD

I currently have an EC2 instance in AWS – an m4.xlarge (4 cores, 16gb, 3tb SSDs) and it’s pretty cheap, about $620/mo ($210/mo for the compute, $410 for the storage).  The performance of this setup rivals in-house Cisco UCS server that we are demoing that costs ~$100k, as long as our batch sizes don’t exceed available memory – that’s where the larger Cisco pulls ahead.  The $620/mo is the on-demand price, btw…the reserved price is much lower.

$100k/ $620 = 161 months of operation before cost parity.

Mike S

We'll be using RDS, not an EC2 Instance.