Re: Very slow queries followed by checkpointer process killed with signal 9

От Jason McLaurin
Тема Re: Very slow queries followed by checkpointer process killed with signal 9
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Tom,

Hmm, is it always the checkpointer that gets the OOM kill?  That seems
quite odd.

What PG version is this exactly?  Do you have any extensions installed?

I recall having seen somebody before reporting odd slowness of trivial
commands like BEGIN.  I failed to find the thread(s) in the archives
though, so I'm not sure if we identified the cause.

This is Postgres 14.5 running in the TimescaleDB Docker image. We're not actually using TimescaleDB on this database instance (there are no hypertables), but we use the same Docker image everywhere. So it's certainly possible that a TimescaleDB background process is to blame despite the complete lack of TimescaleDB-enabled tables.

Is there anywhere you'd suggest we start looking for hints? I'd be interested in increasing relevant logging verbosity so that we can see when key background processes are running, both in Postgres core and Timescale.

Thanks so much!