Re: Adding Oracle Linux to the Linux Download pages

От Lenz Grimmer
Тема Re: Adding Oracle Linux to the Linux Download pages
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> I don't believe it is. I see no problem in adding information about the
> Oracle linux distribution, just like we have information about Oracle
> Solaris. This is about providing a service to our users, after all.

Thank you, I appreciate your support. We have users that contacted us because
they want to run newer versions of PostgreSQL on OL. That's why I reached out to
this list.

> Now if Devrim doesn't want to spend time verifying the packages for Oracle
> Linux, that's of course his decision.

Absolutely.

> But we can certainly list what the distribution default is. But we could then specifically list under the
> section of "PostgreSQL Yum Repository" which distributions are supported there.

Yes, I think it's fine to make that distinction. The top part of
http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/
first explains what versions of PG are included by default in which
versions of RHEL and its derivatives.
It then points to the yum repo, but without making a clear indication
which distributions have been tested
explicitly (and are thus considered "supported"?). If you go to
http://yum.postgresql.org/, it talks about
"available platforms", listing RHEL, CentOS and SL (among other
RPM-based distros).

> (Though in the end I think it would be beneficial to the users if we could
> support Oracle Linux as well, its always a matter of resources vs number of
> users. There are a lot of debian based distributions that aren't officially
> supported by our apt repository either, for example)

Right.

> In fact, we should probably list that there regardless - so people know
> which versions are actually supported by that repository. Should we perhaps
> even specifically list which versions of each distro?

For the RHEL-based distributions, I think it's sufficient to just
state the major version (e.g.
RHEL 6, CentOS 6, etc.) - the minor version (e.g. "6.5") just
indicates an update release, which is
primarily a consolidation of all updates/errate that have accumulated.
Each update release within
a major release is fully binary compatible (the ABI remains
unchanged). A version of PostgreSQL
build on RHEL 6.0 will still run on 6.5.

Lenz

-- Lenz Grimmer <lenz@grimmer.com> -  http://www.lenzg.net/

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Adding Oracle Linux to the Linux Download pages
Сообщение: Re: Adding Oracle Linux to the Linux Download pages